Sunday, January 16, 2011

Paris holds the key to your heart (... or your stomach)


Anticipation. 

Ever since my husband put in his request about a month ago for Brussels sprouts, the anticipation has been slowly building… along with the doubt. [I’ll admit, probably more doubt that anything else.] Tonight it finally made it to the table. And I learned a lot about Brussels sprouts in the process: for example, the spelling and thus its origins. Although now it seems obvious, I never knew that Brussels sprouts are a Belgium produce (and hence the name Brussels sprouts with a capital B and an s). I was also surprised to learn that Brussels sprouts are in the cabbage family. In fact in French – one of the languages spoken in Belgium – Brussels sprouts are called choux de Bruxelles or Brussels cabbage. Now that I’ve shared my random culinary encyclopedic information, I’ll move on to the actual cooking.

While the dish itself [My Brother Brussels – a Guy Fieri dish] was technically successful and looked appetizing, it turns out that I’m not a fan of this particular choux. I’ll give you the recipe in case you happen to like Brussels sprouts or want to give them a shot, but I don’t think I’ll be saving it in my recipe collection.

The rest of the meal, however, was extremely successful. (I know… I need to work on my modesty.)  An involuntary and proud (or should I say haughty?) “yum” slipped through my lips at the first bite of the other recipe I’m going to share with you today. A classic Parisian café dish – Croque Monsieur – is basically a twist on grilled ham and cheese. Using Gruyere cheese and a béchamel sauce with a sourdough exterior. The dish was frequently ordered on both my trips to the City of Lights however I’d never quite worked up the courage to make it myself. Turns out that it’s as easy to make as it is to eat! Although the Gruyere is a little more pricey than your everyday cheese, if you get it from Sam’s it’s much more reasonable.

This French classic has many variations, including the most popular Croque Madame, which is basically a Croque Monsieur with a fried egg on top. Give this dish a shot in its original form or make it your own. And let me know if that “yum” slips out. 

The rest of the meal included an easy-to-do and easy-to-freeze soup as well as a very pretty dessert. We'll save those for another post another day. But until then... bon appetit!

(By Guy Fieri)

Note: One benefit of this recipe, even if your anti-Brussels sprouts, is that it can be adapted to fit a variety of veggies. My mom suggested green beans. My husband recommended zucchini. I’m thinking maybe asparagus. It’s a good recipe… even if the Brussels sprouts part of it isn’t to my taste.
Ingredients
2 teaspoons salt
¾ pound Brussels sprouts, ends trimmed, loose leaves removed
½ pound bacon, thinly cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1 ½ cups diced yellow onion
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
¼ cup grated Parmesan, for garnish [I used Pecorino Romano because it’s what I had on hand.]

Directions
Fill a large pot 3/4 of the way with water and add 1 teaspoon of salt and the Brussels sprouts. Put the pot over high heat and bring to a boil. Let boil until the Brussels sprouts are just fork tender about, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, drain the sprouts and transfer to an ice bath. Let cool completely, then drain and set aside.

Cut the Brussels sprouts into 1/4-inch lengthwise slices and set aside. Add the bacon to a medium sauté pan, and cook until just crisp, then remove to a paper towel lined plate to drain. Adjust heat to medium-high, add the onions to the pan and sauté until they are translucent and just beginning to caramelize, about 5 or 6 minutes. Add the butter to the pan, then add the Brussels sprouts and sauté for 3 to 4 more minutes. Season with the remaining 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Transfer to a serving bowl or platter and sprinkle with the reserved bacon and the cheese. Serve immediately.
 



(By Ina Garten/the Barefoot Contessa)

Ingredients

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups hot milk
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Pinch nutmeg [You guessed it! I left this out.]
12-ounce block of Gruyere, grated (makes 5 cups)
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
16 slices white sandwich bread, crusts removed [I only made six sandwiches with the same amount of cheese sauce.]
Dijon mustard
8 ounces baked Virginia ham, sliced but not paper thin

Directions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Melt the butter over low heat in a small saucepan and add the flour all at once, stirring with a wooden spoon for 2 minutes. Slowly pour the hot milk into the butter–flour mixture and cook, whisking constantly, until the sauce is thickened. Off the heat add the salt, pepper, nutmeg, 1/2 cup grated Gruyere, and the Parmesan and set aside.

To toast the bread, place the slices on 2 baking sheets and bake for 5 minutes. Turn each slice and bake for another 2 minutes, until toasted.

Lightly brush half the toasted breads with mustard, add a slice of ham to each, and sprinkle with half the remaining Gruyere. Top with another piece of toasted bread. Slather the tops with the cheese sauce, sprinkle with the remaining Gruyere, and bake the sandwiches for 5 minutes. Turn on the broiler and broil for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the topping is bubbly and lightly browned. Serve hot.

4 comments:

  1. LOVE brussel sprouts! there's a place here in dc that does them so well!

    what kind of soup did yall (appear to) have?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a sweet potato bisque. Delish! I'm actually probably going to make another batch tomorrow to freeze. But I'm saving that recipe and the dessert for another post.

    The only other time I've had Brussels sprouts is at Bottega with you, and I don't remember liking them much there either. Everything else we ate that week, however... yeah I still don't think I've burned off those fabulous calories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg yes yes! i've been looking for a good sweet potato soup recipe! can't wait for that one!

    ReplyDelete